Thursday, May 26, 2011

Free story from Moonlight Sketches!


"Break, Break, Break"


There's been a lot going on with Moonlight Sketches and me since last I blogged, but for now, I just wanted to make you aware of a FREE short story that's just been published in the online journal New Atlantic Canadian Literature, which does exactly as it promises. Run by Salty Ink, NACL posts a variety of features and free writing samples from newly published fiction and poetry in Atlantic Canada. What better way to decide if a book or author is worth your time and money? They've just posted, in its entirety, "Break, Break, Break" from Moonlight Sketches, along with a short write-up and review of the story. I'm very pleased to have my story published by NACL and Salty Ink, as I consider them to be the most impressive book blog in all of Canada. I may be a little biased, but I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it was true. In fact, I'm sure you've heard me mention them before.

"Break, Break, Break" is one of my favorite stories in Moonlight Sketches, as it comes from a place of pure imagination, but inspired by the real life event of the Ocean Ranger tragedy, which killed 84 men off the coast of Newfoundland during a savage storm in February 1982. The story was written after a sleepless night of hearing voices inside my head--and yet outside of me, somehow--and the next morning sitting at the computer before I'd even had breakfast and writing for about 4 hours straight. This story is what came out and, in fact, it only required a minimal amount of revision before it was published in an anthology called Hard Ol' Spot (Mike Heffernan, ed.).

So if you haven't read this one yet, check it out--just click on the link beneath the NACL logo at the top of this blog entry. If you've already read it, you can check out the feature itself, as well as the NACL journal and Salty Ink. There's a lot of good stuff there, and you might want to bookmark the site because it regularly adds new features on very fine writers and poets. It's just one of the places you can go. :-)
Talk to you again soon.

Gerard

4 comments:

  1. Sigh. Probably my favourite story in the collection, heart-breaking though it is. A powerful tale you've told here... the writing is so subtle, so ... casual, almost... that you could almost believe that it's just a mundane snapshot of a life. Beautiful, beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those are words to warm a writer's heart. That story means an awful lot to me, in part because I denied for so many years my need, and my right, to write it. Thank you for such kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "Break, Break, Break" for the first time last fall in ENGL 3155 with Dr. Bulgin,(you actually visited our class to discuss the story), and even at that point I found it to be very captivating. Reading this story again about six months later, it still has a certain impact on me. This is kind of odd as I was not even born when this storm occurred and therefore have no real connection to it. Perhaps it is just the result of a talented writer? :)
    Looking forward to picking up a copy of Moonlight Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful compliment--thank you, Katrina! I do remember you from that class. Regardless of your reasons for that reaction, I'm pleased to have played a part in it--more pleased that you let me know. Also, wasn't that a great class by Dr. Bulgin? I love her idea of bringing authors into the classroom. Anyway, I truly hope you enjoy Moonlight Sketches. Thanks again. :-)

    ReplyDelete